Be Ready Utah Disaster Supply Kit
Store your Disaster Supply Kit in a backpack, wheeled suitcase, or another portable container in an easy-access location, as near as possible to an exit.
Have a separate kit for each family member.
Items susceptible to water damage should be in plastic bags.
Check your kit twice a year and replace any items that have expired or don’t work.
Cover all 12 Areas of Emergency Preparedness in your disaster supply kits.
ADD ADDITIONAL ITEMS TO KITS TO FIT INDIVIDUAL NEEDS AS NECESSARY
- Waterproof poncho
- Emergency reflective blanket
- Wool or fleece blanket or sleeping bag
- Tent or tarp
- Windproof/waterproof matches
- Alternate fire-starter
- Hand and body warmer packets
- 1-2 gallons of water in a refillable container
- Water tablets and/or filter
- 3 days supply of ready-to-eat, non-perishable food
- Hard candies
Sanitation & Hygiene
- Personal hygiene kit: soap, toothbrush, toothpaste, comb, toilet tissue, feminine items, razor, lip balm, washcloth, etc.
- Garbage bags
- Hand sanitizer
- Baby wipes
Clothing, Tools & Personal Items
- Clothing for warm/cold weather
- Extra socks and underwear
- Ball cap and/or bandanna
- Extra glasses or contacts
- Multi-function pocket knife
- Duct tape and 50-ft nylon rope
- Stress relief item: book, toy, etc.
Light & Power
- Light sticks
- Camp cup, plate, and utensils
- Lightweight stove and fuel
- Paper towels
- Can opener (maybe a knife)
- Multi-power AM/FM radio
- Notepad and pencil
- Plastic whistle with neck cord
- Extra mobile phone charger
- First aid kit: Adhesive bandages, rolled gauze and pads, disposable gloves, antibiotic cream, burn gel, antiseptic towelettes, tweezers, triangle bandage, etc.
- First aid instruction booklet
- Personal medications
- Scissors and sewing kit
- Insect repellent
Safety & Security
- Work gloves
- Dust mask
- Mace/pepper spray
- Spare house/car keys
- Sturdy walking shoes or boots
- Wagon, stroller, or wheelchair as needed
Important Documents & Money
- Copies of: emergency plan, birth certificates, marriage license, will, insurance info, financial info, vehicle title, family photos, ID, emergency contact list, etc.
- At least $200 in small bills
Make a Plan
Get a Kit
For more preparedness information: BeReadyUtah.gov